Our History

The Paviljoen originally was located on the beach of Scheveningen near the restaurant Seinpost. During World War II, Scheveningen was a so-called “guarded area” so all the establishments at the beach had to be removed from there. Our pavilion was moved to Malieveld in The Hague, with the intention of returning to the beach of Scheveningen after the war. According to popular beliefs, at the time, Queen Wilhelmina had decided to leave the pavilion where it was. During the war, and more specifically during the Dutch famine of 1944–45, it was possible to get a portion of poffertjes or Traditional Dutch waffles in exchange for a bread coupon. This was more nutritious than the bread you could buy from the baker.

 

In 1953, Ms de Bruijn, grandmother of the current owner, bought the company. Together with her son and daughter, Wim and Corry de Bruijn, she worked really hard to make everyone familiar with the poffertjes and the Traditional Dutch warm waffle until she passed away in 1981. The poffertjes and waffles are baked according to a secret family recipe, even today, in an artisanal and traditional way. The beach pavilion, which at one point needed replacement, was demolished in September 1982 to make way for an entirely new pavilion.

This pavilion met the strictest legal requirements of the time and had an indoor capacity of 130 seats, including glass walls.

The menu was also expanded considerably with 20 freshly baked pancakes as standard and more dishes for lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, Wim de Bruijn did not enjoy the new pavilion for long; he died in March 1985.

 

Ruud Louwerens, who had been working in the family business since the summer of 1976, was asked by his aunt, Corry de Bruijn, to become a co-owner as of January 1986. Customers continued to visit the company more and more, even though in the nineties the economy in the Netherlands was a bit sluggish. Corry de Bruijn died in 1998 at the age of 69.

 

In 2008, the company underwent a major renovation. The kitchen was expanded and completely renovated. The capacity was expanded with 44 seats, through a 2nd section with glass walls, the storage capacity was expanded, as well as an additional toilet area, and a disabled toilet was created. In that year, also his son Berry, who had just finished his studies as a chef, came to work in the business.